7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby erilaz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:22 pm

^ I'm not a big anime fan, but I loved all three. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is in fact my favorite non-Ghibli anime. I also enjoyed Hosoda's more recent films, The Boy and the Beast (2015) and Mirai (2018), but not as much as those three.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Moh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Holy shit.

Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Amped » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Damn, I had no idea he was fighting stage 3 cancer. Filming and traveling for Avengers must have took a toll on his body during that time. RIP
Amped
High Priest

Postby Zunu » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Just tragic.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:05 am

Season 3 of Aggretsuko is now available for streaming on Netflix, and the capsule summary sounds very interesting:

Retsuko’s rage rises another octave when she finds herself moonlighting with an underground idol group to pay off her debts.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 am

Speaking of Netflix and anime, I just finished bingeing Great Pretender on Netflix and...I really didn't want it to end. It's a fun story with interesting characters, a sympathetic protagonist, a dynamic animation style and the exotic locations of a Bond film. It's about a low level Japanese swindler who finds himself thrown into the big leagues and gradually starts to learn the ropes, while somehow not losing his basic human decency. A little corny and predictable in spots, but like an "Oceans" movie, it's not so much about the heists but how they're carried off. The OP is gonna make you think of Cowboy Bebop.

tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:26 am

Celedam wrote:Even if [The New Mutants] ends up sucking hard […]

It does. The climactic battle is pretty good. Everything else leading up to it is terrible.

Celedam wrote:[…] I appreciate the obvious attempt to do justice to the source material; in that respect, it's already better than most of the X-Men movies.

Nope, it's exactly like the X-Men movies, in that the only thing it has in common with the source material is some of the characters' powers. Ilyana looks great and is the main reason why the climactic battle is as good as it is, but that's it. The actual characterizations are wrong across the board…

Spoiler: show
Dani: proud Cheyenne girl who struggles to befriend teens from other cultures --> confused city girl who struggles to accept her Cheyenne heritage

Sam: eldest son from a big mining family who reluctantly but naturally becomes everyone's "big brother" --> twitchy kid who has been traumatized by a hard life in the mines and thus tries to avoid everyone

Roberto: charming, good-natured rich kid who uses his money to take care of his friends --> spoiled chauvinist who always says the worst thing possible

Ilyana: cold-blooded queen who downplays her bizarre upbringing --> bratty princess who constantly shows off her powers

Rahne: devout Irish Catholic girl who hates herself because she thinks she's possessed by a demon --> devout Irish Catholic girl who hates herself because she's gay

<sad, defeated sigh>
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Amped » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm

"Away" on Netflix
Amped
High Priest

Postby Celedam » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:50 am

I'll just leave this here…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Shoujo Q » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:46 am

I’m looking forward to seeing this. The cast list alone looks fantastic.

Shoujo Q
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project