7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Amped » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 am

Amped
High Priest

Postby Moh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:42 am

Can't wait to see that one. I still have the "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" documentary on my DVR.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Zunu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 am

My love for Mr. Rogers does battle with my decidedly meh feelings toward Tom Hanks. So conflicted.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 am

I found this interesting…

… and I wonder if the same line of thought applies to the idol industry: recruiting school-aged girls, indoctrinating them into the agency system, emphasizing groups instead of soloists, and so on.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Amped » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 am

Rocko's Modern Life... :notes:

Amped
High Priest

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:27 pm

It might be time to lift my self-imposed Netflix ban.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Of course it's on Netflix. :|
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Celedam » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:33 pm

Celedam wrote:Another good series coming to Amazon Prime Video?

Supes have been committing atrocities, which keep getting swept under the rug because they are revered by the adoring public. Billy Butcher recruits The Boys who have all been wronged by The Seven, the world’s most notorious superheroes, to bring them down and stop the corruption. Based on the best-selling comics by Garth Ennis, The Boys is a revenge story where the nobodies take on the somebodies.

It is good. It is very, very good.

---

Celedam wrote:Some of us read The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

Well, STARZ has made a series out of it…

Spoiler: show
I'm really not getting the same vibe from this trailer that I did from the book. Not at all. Judging by this trailer, the series seems to be a British spy thriller with a supernatural twist, while the book was the reverse. The book had straight-up battles between superhumans (I wouldn't call them "superheroes"), in which they used their powers at full strength to spectacular effect. I don't see those battles happening in the series, maybe due to budget constraints or maybe due to a deliberate change in tone to attract an audience that is tired of superhero movies.

And the extra note about superhuman trafficking seems like a gratuitous attempt to be politically relevant. That's not in the book at all, at least not that I remember. In the book, the Checquy often act as troubleshooters to neutralize other superhuman and supernatural threats specifically because they cannot be controlled through normal means. But even then, it's a secondary function of the Checquy; their primary function is counterintelligence against similar organizations in other countries. (For example, a rival group of superhumans from Belgium called the Grafters; you can probably guess from the name what their schtick is.)

Anyhow, does this mean in the series, some faction of the Checquy is secretly trafficking in superhumans, and that is the mystery to be solved? Eh, I'm bored already. This is coming too soon after Orphan Black, which had many of the same plot points and a much more appealing lead.

It is meh, for pretty much exactly the reasons I suspected.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Thirteen weeks ago, I said…

Celedam wrote:Season 6 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. begins next week.

I just finished it, thanks to Hulu, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. As I said once before, while commenting on The Gifted

Celedam wrote:This is what I'm watching right now, but I feel like I'm catching up just for the sake of catching up. It's not great, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which was notoriously cheap and often mediocre but still had a certain charm.

It's still true. They do so much with so little, and that's due to good writing and great characters.

My theories about this season…

viewtopic.php?p=243450#p243450

…turned out to be wrong, but those theories assumed the show is still a part of the MCU proper, and it obviously is not. However…

Spoiler: show
I'm thrilled that the monoliths have turned out to be a real, logical, multi-season story arc. Many threads came together this season in a way that must have been planned from the beginning, and if it wasn't, it was damned good writing to come up with something that so neatly explains everything that came before.

Anyhow, last words until the seventh and final season (confirmed): "Hey, guys."
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:"…but that's another show."

Can't say I like the new kitchen. I liked the old one: classy, vaguely Mission-style but with a modern twist, lots of wood, steel fixtures…

Image Image Image

It was so nice that they replicated it when they moved production from the real location to their own studio.

What I'm seeing in the preview above is awful by comparison, and it seems like a desperate attempt to appeal to a younger audience. I'm sure there will be an in-character explanation for it, but I don't care.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project