7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby JonCC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 am

Well, just as hype levels for Cyberpunk 2077 reach their max by announcing a release date, they kick it up a notch by adding Keanu Reeves.

This is going to be spectacular.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Zunu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 am

Eh I was just wondering the other day what was going on with that game, after that long preview from several months ago and then video silence. Part of me is still afraid to dare to believe the hype. It just seems to defy plausibility that one title can be so next-level on so many levels. But I will be more than happy to eat my hat if the hype turns out to be real, and scoring Reeves just made the vapor seem a lot more solid.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Zunu wrote:On a lighter note, I enjoyed Amazon Prime"s Good Omens miniseries. It was fairly faithful to the source material and the two actors who played Aziraphale and Crowley (Michael Sheen and David Tennant) were pitch perfect.

Good to hear. I don't have a Prime account, but this series may compel me to get one (or at least get a free trial when I have time to binge).

I'm wondering whether I should re-read the book first. I haven't read it since I went to L.A. to see Kago-chan... holy crap, has it really been nine years already?!
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby JonCC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm

"They are no longer your people to save."

And they said this E3 would be a downer. They were wrong.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Celedam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 pm

"The only good goblin is a dead goblin — NOW LET'S MAKE THESE GOBLINS GOOD!"

It's even better with CC turned on.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 am

Celedam wrote:"I think it's time to live for me."

It's now available.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:18 pm

I just finished the first (and so far only) season of Made in Abyss, which was previously available on Crunchyroll and is now available on Amazon Prime Video…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B073S2KQGJ/

It was the winner of 2017 Anime of the Year at Crunchyroll, and having finished it, I can say the honor was deserved.

I really can't say much else about it without spoiling it, however, because it is about a literal journey into the unknown. More than that, it is about our deep longing for the unknown, our need to discover it and find meaning in it. The unknown can be wonderful, but it can also be terrible, and it doesn't care about you.

Don't let the first few episodes fool you. When you see the prepubescent protagonists and the Miyazaki-like direction — very reminiscent, and probably deliberately so, of Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind and Castle in the Sky — you might think it's going to be a gentle adventure for children.

IT IS NOT.

You have been warned.

(it does have a nifty map, tho.)

Now, bring on Season 2.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Another good series coming to Amazon Prime Video?

Supes have been committing atrocities, which keep getting swept under the rug because they are revered by the adoring public. Billy Butcher recruits The Boys who have all been wronged by The Seven, the world’s most notorious superheroes, to bring them down and stop the corruption. Based on the best-selling comics by Garth Ennis, The Boys is a revenge story where the nobodies take on the somebodies.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:22 pm

erilaz wrote:
Zunu wrote:On a lighter note, I enjoyed Amazon Prime"s Good Omens miniseries. It was fairly faithful to the source material and the two actors who played Aziraphale and Crowley (Michael Sheen and David Tennant) were pitch perfect.

Good to hear. I don't have a Prime account, but this series may compel me to get one (or at least get a free trial when I have time to binge).

I just finished it as well. Overall, it's quite good and like Zunu said, fairly faithful to the book. Although I missed one of my favorite jokes from the book: the Four Horsemen, and the other Four Horsemen.

:hehe:

Anyhow, I think what I like most about it is that it perfectly, dare I say explicitly captures what I've always liked about Terry Pratchett's work. There are few laugh-out-loud jokes, just a constant simmering of quirky British humor that has you smiling throughout. It's all very human.

If there is any real negative, it's that this particular adaptation tends to be a little too woke for its own good. A lot of it can be excused by the "fact" that angels and demons are technically asexual, and even more of it is lampshaded by the character of Pepper (or to be more precise, how the other characters react to Pepper), but it's still rather cringey at several points. Not a showstopper, though.

---

Meanwhile, over on Netflix…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:51 pm

^ For like half an instant I glanced at that first screencap and I was like why does Pepper look like book Pepper and not TV Pepper? I should probably start another petition to Netflix to demand that they bring her back! :roll:
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project