7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Fri May 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Celedam wrote:Season 6 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. begins next week.

Huh. I genuinely don't know what to make of that.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Game of Thrones S08E04 (5 May 2019)

Remember their names…

Spoiler: show
Rhaegal
Missandei of Naath

Anyhow, a look back…

…and a look ahead…

My prediction has come partly true, and I still expect the key point to come true before the end. I just got some of the details wrong.

The big mystery now seems to be, who will kill Cersei? There are at least four, maybe five major characters who want to and who would satisfy the narrative when they do. Thoughts?
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:Season 6 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. begins next week.

Huh. I genuinely don't know what to make of that.

I watched the first episode this evening. It was intriguing.

I'm worried that they once again they blew a large part of the season's budget on the season premiere in order to make the show seem more impressive than it actually is. There were several "ships in space" CGI sequences that were uncharacteristically good — on par with the best of last season's "shattered earth" sequences. We'll just have to see how the season proceeds from here.

They also split the cast into two completely separate storylines. Quake, Simmons, and the two recurring agents from last season (as seen in the poster frame above) are bouncing around the galaxy in the Zephyr equipped with the interstellar teleport that the alien confederacy gave to HYDRA, in order to look for the Fitz who was going "the long way around" to the alternate future they supposedly prevented. Meanwhile, Mack, Yo-Yo, May, and a whole bunch of new recruits (S.H.I.E.L.D. is legitimate and public again?) are back on Earth dealing with Multiverse issues that may or may not be a consequence of the events of Avengers: Endgame. It's too early to tell; there is talk of ley lines.

The first storyline is already more compelling than the second, partly due to the effects (see above, re: CGI) but mostly due to the fact that Quake, Simmons, and Fitz are the more interesting characters. The second storyline is the same cheap crap that has bogged down previous seasons of this show, and if it can be saved at all, it will be by the Multiverse-Coulson who is apparently known as "Sarge".

The two storylines will eventually merge later in the season, of course, and based on clues in the trailer, I wonder if they're doing some version of the "incursion points" storyline from the New Avengers comics back in 2013. In a nutshell: the Multiverse is collapsing, Earths are colliding, destroy or be destroyed.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Game of Thrones S08E05 (12 May 2019)

Remember their names…

Varys
Euron Greyjoy
Qyburn
Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane
Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
Cersei Lannister
Jaime Lannister

Anyhow, a look back…

…and a look ahead…

"Every time a new Targaryen is born, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Dragons just don't run out of ammo, it seems.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Zunu » Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm

They also seem to preferentially wreak havoc right in the vicinity of protagonists... over and over. At one point, Arya was running and ducking through mayhem and debris as if she were Sam Witwicky dodging decepticons. :roll:
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 pm

I've been seeing mixed reactions online, some coming from commentators whom I usually respect, and I want to say to them…

The legend of the original Azor Ahai might have been mostly literal (although 8,000 years will twist any tale), but the prophecy of the return of Azor Ahai has been almost entirely metaphorical, and that includes "the long night". It's "A Song of Ice and Fire", after all. Ice and Fire.

Did you really expect the night to end with the destruction of the Night King? Did you really think every character's arc would keep going in the same direction all the way to the end? Did you really believe all of our heroes would come together to save the world and then live happily ever after?

No, that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. Ramsay straight-up told us…

As for me, yeah, I'm a little disappointed with how they're rushing things in order to wrap up the series, but I long ago accepted that as the reality of adapting the books for television. I'm otherwise satisfied with how the story is playing out.

EDIT: Another perspective…

https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/1125856091261136896
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Sorry for this brief hijacking of the "Game of Thrones" thread. :fear:
I'm feeling some kinda way after the "New Amsterdam" season finale. It quickly became one of my favorite new shows of the 2018-19 season, so I'm itching to see how they wrap up the massive cliffhanger they left. If no one here has watched this show yet, please do!
Knowing it was gonna be a medical drama left me with mixed feelings*, but I feel like it's really well done. Having a stellar cast definitely helps, and it's covered a good range of topics that I think people could relate to in some way or another.

*I love "The Resident" and the US ver. of "The Good Doctor", but you'd be wise to not ever talk to me about "Grey's Anatomy". :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Zunu » Wed May 15, 2019 2:56 pm

New Amsterdam? Where is that, in Essos? Ulthos? Do they worship the old gods or the new? :hehe:

Also just want to throw out that iZombie is back
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Game of Thrones S08E06 (19 May 2019)

The end.

Pretty much all of the predictions came true…

Dany's vision in the House of the Undying was made real.

Jon killed Dany.

Drogon destroyed the Iron Throne.

Bran was named King. (The oddsmakers called this one a while ago.)

Tyrion was named Hand.

Bronn got his castle.

Sam came up with the title "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Sansa became the Queen in the North.

Arya went west of Westeros.

Jon and Ghost went beyond the Wall.

And I'm okay with it.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project