7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby esm » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 am

Spoiler: show
Not that it's a big deal at all, but I was surprised by how easy it was for Jaime to appear in Winterfell. People probably didn't know who he was, but would they just let some random person enter?

I wonder what Daenerys has thought about how her dragons have accepted Jon so easily. Like, is it why she trusts him and is attracted to him? Can't wait for the moment she finds out he's family.

What's with Cersei's disappointment about the elephants lol
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Celedam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 am

esm wrote:
Not that it's a big deal at all, but I was surprised by how easy it was for Jaime to appear in Winterfell. People probably didn't know who he was, but would they just let some random person enter?

Winterfell is taking in a huge number of people and preparing for what could be the end of the world. With that much activity, it's no longer practical to stop everyone coming and going through the front gate. It's now the living versus the dead.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm

esm wrote:Can't wait for the moment she finds out he's family.

She might even think it's a good omen in that incest has been a hallmark of the Targaryen family. Plus supposedly she's sterile anyway so no need to worry about mutant kids.

esm wrote:What's with Cersei's disappointment about the elephants lol

I reckon it's a bit of Khaleesi jealousy. Cersei can't have dragons, so she wants the next best thing in fearsome and impressive beasts. She does have Ser Robert Strong, he's pretty fkin scary.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

I just had a thought…

Bronze Yohn Royce should have more of a role than he's had so far, considering his importance in the current situation. He's not just the commander of the Knights of the Vale, he's effectively the Defender of the Vale since Littlefinger was executed and Robin Arryn is still being fostered at Runestone. And the Vale still has most of its original strength since it didn't actually join the hostilities until the Battle of the Bastards; it remained neutral throughout both the War of the Five Kings and Daenerys' invasion of Westeros. Bronze Yohn also appears to have become Sansa's own military commander, or her chief of staff, or something similar, because he's much too involved in the operation of Winterfell and the preparations for war/winter to be merely a friend of the family, and he shares Sansa and the other Northern lords' distrust of the alliance between Jon and Daenerys. In short, the dude is arguably one of the most powerful and influential men on the continent right now.

With all of this in mind, I think it wasn't a coincidence that he was shown at several key moments during the season premiere. I think it was to remind the audience that he's still there and running things with Sansa, because he's going to do something HUGE later in the season. Perhaps with the help of Lyanna Mormont, who was also shown at several key moments and who represents the Northern lords in this little melodrama.

Or maybe not. We'll see.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 am

Celedam wrote:Previously, regarding The Gifted

viewtopic.php?p=240436#p240436

Well, Season 2 is now done. It was not good, and I don't think I will be back for Season 3. If there is a Season 3, of course — even a Season 3 that goes in the direction of X-Men: Days of Future Past, as was implied by this season's cliffhanger.

Nope.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marvel-the-gifted-rel-fox-cancels-1203188647/
https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-gifted-rel-fox-canceled/
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:26 am

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:Hey, remember how I used to talk about Critical Role, where a bunch of nerdy-ass voice actors sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons?

Well…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s

EDIT: It's now all over the financial and entertainment news sites for breaking a bunch of Kickstarter records. It passed $3 million — four times its goal — within the first eight hours.

Currently at $4.5 million after 24 hours.

$6.6 million after four and a half days.

Critical Role Team, After Record-Breaking Fan Crowdfunding Response, Vows to Make ‘The Best Goddamn Cartoon Anyone Has Ever Seen’
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/critical-role-record-breaking-kickstarter-vox-machina-1203158561/

Tonight it passed its ultimate stretch goal of $8.8 million, which means that what started out as a single pilot episode will now be a 10-episode season, likely to be picked up by Netflix or Adult Swim.

The Kickstarter campaign ended last night with a grand total of $11.4 million pledged. They had a party with Joel Hodgson, who literally handed them his champion's belt.

Last edited by Celedam on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Damn. If I wasn't already interested, seeing that kind of response would definitely make me curious.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29 am

People keep asking, how can a frickin' D&D game get a response like that? I tried to explain it here once before…

viewtopic.php?p=210697#p210697

…but even that was almost three years ago, when it was just starting to grow as a pop-culture phenomenon. As I said then: "The key is that they're all veteran voice actors who commit to their characters when it matters, which produces some great comedy and drama. And that's on top of the normal group dynamics of a bunch of friends doing something they enjoy. This is reality television for geeks."

Here's a more recent tribute video that captures the feeling a little better…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcLTuqJaKk

It might be easy to dismiss or disbelieve their geek credentials because they're actors living and working in Los Angeles, but no, they're legit. Turns out that many actors were socially awkward "indoor kids" when they were younger. (Surprise!) And what do kids like that do for fun? Well…

By the way, that is not a coincidence — Joe Manganiello has guested on Critical Role, and there is also some talk of getting Stephen Colbert, who is a fellow voice actor and a well-known LotR nerd.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:07 am

Celedam wrote:People keep asking, how can a frickin' D&D game get a response like that?

I may have mentioned before but a friend of mine's ex-husband has a company that specializes in making gaming terrain pieces. At one point a few years back he ran a Kickstarter and in very short order raised $5 million and became an instant millionaire. (Unfortunately for my friend it was post-divorce.) Gaming is huge and nerds have a lot of disposable income.

Clicking on your link brought me to a nearby post from that time period:

Amped wrote:Watched the 1st season of "Stranger Things" on netflix. new favorite show. recommend giving it a try.

At that time I told Amped I would give it a watch, and I don't think I ever followed up. I did watch it, and it was great. Looking forward to S3!

About Stranger Things, you also mentioned back then:

Celedam wrote:Two things that bother me about Stranger Things: the music is wrong, and the slang is wrong....

I find that this is almost always the case with nostalgically evocative shows. Some of it I think is inadvertent, but I think it's mostly a deliberate choice. In part, there's the issue of selective nostalgia, that as the years recede into memory, certain events become emphasized and others vanish from the collective consciousness. So a meticulously accurate portrayal of a period of time would leave a lot of people mystified as to the allusions made. For instance, around the time frame of Stranger Things, Adolf Hitler's previously unknown diaries were unearthed and published. It was big international news. Except, turns out the whole thing was a forgery, so within a couple of years it was completely forgotten. Unless you're really trying to be obscure you'll leave out references like that. Other things, you'll exaggerate. You can have "Africa" playing on someone's cassette tape machine and everyone today will instantly get the reference, even though it was only #24 for the year at that time. But if you play "You and I" which at #12 was a much bigger hit in 1983, few people will recognize it and the nostalgia effect will be lost. But also, you don't want ONLY people born in the 1970's and 1980's to feel the pull of nostalgia, so you cheat and pull in a few artifacts from the 1990's so younger people can get catch some feels as well.

I do agree through, when it comes to dialog, it's very hard to get it just right. especially if a writer wasn't around to experience the specific slang of that time. Even if they were, they need to have a very good memory to filter the slang just for that period. For instance, I recently found out in the Klymaxx song "Meeting in the Ladies Room," the lyrics use the term "basic" as in "basic bitch" (but soften it to "basic woman"). In 1984!!! If you had asked me, I would have sworn "basic" didn't get used that way until around 2000 at the earliest. So if Nancy used "basic" in Stranger Things, I would definitely have accused her of being anachronistic, falsely.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 am

Zunu wrote:I may have mentioned before but a friend of mine's ex-husband has a company that specializes in making gaming terrain pieces. At one point a few years back he ran a Kickstarter and in very short order raised $5 million and became an instant millionaire.

Dwarven Forge?
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project