7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby erilaz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I watched the Beatles special on CBS tonight, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. I found it rather interesting/odd that Dhani Harrison performed, but Sean Lennon (who was in the audience) did not.

After the special, I needed to see the real deal, so I got out my DVD of the original 1964 broadcast, complete with commercials. Fun trivia: among the other guests on the show that evening were impressionist Frank Gorshin, who would go on to play the Riddler on Batman, and Davy Jones, the Artful Dodger from the Broadway cast of Oliver, who would soon become a member of the Monkees.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby stam4o » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:49 pm

^^Exactly.
And it's something I would say happens with 90% of adaptations.
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby Starra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Well, yeah, but the Negima! ones are particularly bad :fear: .

Another terrible one is Fruits Basket. The anime made the characters really flat and generic. And they changed the gender of one of the characters. The manga is really good, but the anime... no fucking thanks. Avoid that shit.

There are some good adaptations out there, though. Like Kurobas, which I feel is better than the manga because it's far more intense. The Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai anime is pretty decent, as well. Sure, the manga is better, but I felt like the anime did a good job with what it had to work with.

TL;DR: I watch far too much anime.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby stam4o » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Yeah, Fruits Basket too, I've never watched the anime because people who'd watched it advised me not ot...
The manga though... is superb. I have it into my top series list.(though it may be into the top 30? 20? XD, I've read so much that my top is really big)

Other screwed up series when turned into anime:
Gantz, Tsubaas Reservoir Chronicles, Air Gear, Naruto(all the fillers), Claymore, D-gray man, etc...

Good adaptations: Shingeki ni Kyojin, Detective Conan(!), FLCL...
stam4o
Minion

Postby Starra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:50 pm

^I've heard the second Fullmetal Alchemist series (Brotherhood) is a good adaptation, although I can't confirm because I haven't seen it (I watched the first series, though) nor have I read the manga.

Hayate no Gotoku! has good adaptations and bad ones. The first two TV series are pretty good, but everything after that is shit. Do not watch CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU or Cuties. They're terrible.

I get that not all adaptations can be exact replicas of their source material, but some series are just so utterly terrible. It's kinda sad.

OTOH, sometimes a good anime will get a shitty manga adaptation. Looking at you, Mai-HiME.
Starra
Prophet

Postby stam4o » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Ou ou... manga adaptations are almost always terrible. One of the best parts about being a mangaka is that you draw many "personal" things, it's stuff you want to express out and usually you start developing the story, characters and all the concepts just by imagination.... well, not sure how to explain it more accurately :P, but when going on an adaptation great part of all this gets lost...
With anime what happens it's similar but the process of making animes is very different and that's why there're many good adn even better anime adaptations too :)
stam4o
Minion

Postby mura_yo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:05 pm

^
^
I haven't read the FMA manga , but i've heard that FMA:B follows it pretty closely. IMO, It's better than the first anime.
and yeah, i tried reading the Mai-Hime manga, because i liked the series so much, and couldn't get past the 1st chapter :glare:
mura_yo
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Gaki-san,Eripon

Postby Starra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Mai-HiME is one of my favourite series (fuck the haters, I liked the ending). The manga is... appalling.

Akira was by far the best character. Too bad nobody else liked her.

I always like the unpopular characters.
Starra
Prophet

Postby stam4o » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Hmmm, consider the fact that FMA Brotherhood is first in MAL. It has to be good.
stam4o
Minion

Postby Starra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Nah, not necessarily. MAL tends to have pretty shit tastes.

I mean, Code Geass was absolute shit and SAO looks like it's even worse. Death Note also doesn't seem that good (I've only watched the first four episodes). Most Ghibli movies don't deserve to be as high as they are (not that they're bad movies, but there's better stuff out there). I've also heard that Monster is overrated. And the first episode of AnoHana annoyed the shit out of me. Etc, etc.

Sometimes they get things right, though. Gintama is brilliant, Kuroko no Basket is the best thing ever, Clannad After Story deserves its spot and SnK was great.

I haven't seen most of the other stuff. The Haruhi movie is okay and I didn't enjoy Madoka Magica all that much, but that's not to say they're objectively bad.

Also, everyone should watch Kuroko no Basket. Even if you don't care about basketball. It's actually a perfect series.
Starra
Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project