7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Zunu » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Clara as a companion has been a disappointment to me, by far the least interesting of the ones I've followed (Davies-Moffat era only.) She was okay here, I guess, but I won't miss her moving on, although I'm not thrilled about Smith leaving. Seeing him and Tennant side-by-side only cemented in my mind that he was a better doctor despite the weaker scripts and story arcs he was given. John Hurt seemed wasted in the role. Tennant and Smith's physicality overwhelmed the more contemplative personality of this tired older man and made him come off as the weakest link. Billie Piper hasn't aged well. NO FREEMA NO LIFE. That aside it was a fast paced story with clever twists and good CG.

Spoiler: show
Didn't mind the reset/reboot aspect of it.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:08 pm

"Fast paced"? I actually noted while watching it that it seemed slower and more contemplative than a regular episode. Being twice as long as a regular episode helps, of course, but still.

I agree about Clara, though. From the beginning she has existed solely as a plot device, almost like a throwback to the worst companions of the classic series. She's pretty and clever and perpetually cheerful, but that just makes her incredibly dull. I think we've seen her get mad only once, in "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS".

It's a shame, too, because physically she's exactly my type. :fear:

I was also hoping for more about the last day of the Time War. This…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OWAAsSXU0

…still gives me shivers. Really, the Daleks and the Time Lords at the height of their powers were supposed to be effectively gods annihilating space-time itself. That's why the Doctor did what he did; both sides had to be stopped. But in the end, all we got to see was a typical shoot-'em-up space invasion, with Gallifrey definitely on the losing side. It makes the Time Lords seem like slightly advanced humans, it makes the Doctor seem like a crank for wiping them out, and it makes Moffat seem clueless about the entire mythology. Feh.

(Farscape did it better, so nyah.)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Celedam wrote:
It's a shame, too, because physically she's exactly my type. :fear:

So much this. In the episode where she played the personified robot, I was so intrigued by this scrappy little apple-faced "Mary Ann," but when they turned her into a real girl they somehow watered her down. Unlike the previous modern companions, she had nothing grounding her to our world, no reason to want to fight and to return.

About the Time War, yes, the full scope of the conflict was much better explained in that ep. Especially the part where Timothy Dalton makes it clear he considers himself as a god compared to humans, and is willing to destroy all time and space to rid his fellow Time Lords of the Dalek pestilence. In the new episode, I was a bit disappointed that Smith!Doctor didn't bring up the recently trendy trolley problem, of which the Doctor's destruction of Gallifrey was a perfect example.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Celedam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:40 am

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Mirai » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 am

^ I loved that!! I am severely behind on DW, so I didn't watch the actual episode, but I watched that and also An Adventure in Space and Time which made me cry.
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby stam4o » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:57 am

I started to watch Six Feet Under a few days ago.

Characters are frickin great!
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby wotakubrandon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:15 am

Hello! Project needs one of these.
wotakubrandon

Postby Celedam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Okay, so we had our nice little anniversary special — now it's time to get back to business…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:35 am

Something has been bugging me, and I just realized what it is. Putting two…

Zunu wrote:by far the least interesting of the ones I've followed (Davies-Moffat era only)

…and two…

Zunu wrote:Especially the part where Timothy Dalton makes it clear he considers himself as a god compared to humans

…together, I gotta ask: do you know the character that Timothy Dalton played?
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 am

Umm... off the top of my head, I don't remember his name, but wasn't he the leader of the council of the Time Lords or some such?
Zunu
Pantaloon

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project