7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby wotakubrandon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:46 am

Wasn't Ambitious in a movie a few years ago?
wotakubrandon

Postby erilaz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 am

DSQueenie wrote:I heard that there was a Hello Project song in The Wolverine.

This one:
[youtube]--ETO50RlKI[/youtube]

Yes, there was a discussion about it in the ~H!P Encounters in the Wild~ thread.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 am

The Twelfth Doctor, revealed…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354

Meanwhile, I was more than a minute into this clip…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23572529

…before I realized the woman is Sophie "Ace" Aldred. God, I feel old.

It also makes me realize how much the audio is processed in the Big Finish radio plays, to make her and the others sound the ages they were in the original series. Some of it is acting, sure, and kudos to them for that, but it's not all acting.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 am

I want to watch Dr. Who because I know some people that are completely obsessed with it, like constantly posting stuff about it on Facebook or writing a master's thesis on it (this one is a soon-to-be roommate).

I started watching the one with the Ninth Doctor a few months ago, and I wasn't too into it. Only seen four episodes though. Are all the later ones like that?
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:44 am

No, much of the Ninth Doctor's season is kind of cheesy in the same way that the first two seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation are kind of cheesy: it was a reboot after many years off the air, so they had to dumb it down a bit and lower the barrier to entry.

If you're willing to give it another try, please do. It starts getting better around 1x08, "Father's Day". And then when you get to the 2005 Christmas Special and the Tenth Doctor, it shifts into second gear and smooths out.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:56 am

I thought so. I'll definitely try it again. :lol:
esm

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:39 am

Don't get me wrong. It's dramatically epic (or epically dramatic) at the right moments, as long as you keep an open mind to the underlying theme*, but it's still mostly an episodic adventure story intended for younger viewers. So there's a lot of running around and bad special effects between those moments.

* Given his knowledge and technology, the Doctor is effectively omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent. That makes him a god by any reasonable definition, but a god with some very human flaws.

This fanvid sums it up well, I think. (There are some spoilers, of course, but they're blurred together by the editing.)

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 am

I stopped being lazy with ACNL. I've been expanding my house and of course paying off the loans every single day until I have just one more expansion left to do. The rooms that don't look like a mess right now:

ImageImageImage

Random stuff:

Portia (the dog) wanted me to deliver something to the guy that's standing right behind him. Easy enough.

Went out yesterday and got a few StreetPasses. This house is great. I should have taken more pictures of the rest of the place.

I decided to mess with this flamingo. She forgot about it quickly enough though.
ImageImage

boinsie liked this cat. He got sick the other day.
ImageImage

Here's the walking takoyaki.
esm

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 am

I really need to get caught up on Doctor Who one of these days. My friends and I watched it regularly in college back in the mid '80s, when the San Jose PBS station showed all the series up to that point on Saturday nights. So I've seen a lot of the first six Doctors, but I've seen only a few episodes here and there from Sylvester McCoy onward.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 am

erilaz wrote:My friends and I watched it regularly in college back in the mid '80s, when the San Jose PBS station showed all the series up to that point on Saturday nights.

I loved KTEH on Sunday nights* for the two years I lived out there. An hour of serious anime (e.g., Please Remember My Earth, Key the Metal Idol), an hour of miscellaneous British sci-fi or comedy (e.g., Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Hitchhiker's Guide, Monty Python), and then a full four- or six-episode Doctor Who story. It was perfect for all of us bachelor geeks there in Silicon Valley during the boom, ending the weekend like that before going back to work Monday morning.

It's easy to build a custom schedule like that now, with Netflix et al., but at the time it was a big deal.

* I guess they moved it from Saturday night to Sunday night at some point.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project