7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby resop2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 am

I saw Pacific Rim yesterday. I hated it. Now, I didn't hate it as much as your typical Hollywood Movie. I didn't hate it as much as the previews for upcoming movies that proceeded the movie that made both my eyes and ears bleed with their horribleness. I haven't seen any of the transformers movies but if I had I would have probably hated them more than this movie.

But, I still hate this movie.

This movie is a huge empty spectacle that aims to overwhelm the senses with CGI overkill and a soundtrack (at this theater) turned up five time louder than it should have been.

Looking at this movie made me wonder if Gundam fans get sexually excited reading schematics for stereo systems. And, the movie wastes so much time on fawning on the CGI mecha, the CGI keiju, and the CGI fights that the remaining story wasn't told A-Z but was told A, F, Q, W, Z.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby wotakubrandon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:34 am

I think the only real reason to go see the movie anyway was the giant robots fighting the giant monsters. That's certainly my primary interest.
wotakubrandon

Postby Celedam » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:49 am

Game of Thrones

First, read this (or at least just the third part, starting with the reader's letter)…

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Then, watch this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

And finally, watch this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqcqapoFy-w
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Sohee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 am

wotakubrandon wrote:giant robots fighting the giant monsters

Exactly why I won't go. @_@ Thanks for confirming that for me. xD
Sohee
Hierophant

Favorite Idol: Kamei Eri

Postby randompasserby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 am

I have a degree in mechanical engineering, tuning out physical impossibilities and just go with the flow if it looks cool enough is already second nature to me at this point. It keeps me sane enough to nerdgasm over Iron Man movies, enjoy some mecha anime and play the shit out of Armored Core series. no i don't salivate over blueprints or anything
Like I said in my first my impressions of the movie...
randompasserby wrote: Not even much of a mecha fan but I can definitely dig it if done right and in this case it most certainly is. Typical summer blockbuster flaws aside, the plot is coherent enough and some characters charming enough not to detract too much from the sheer spectacle of it.

Just here for godzilla, or close enough until next year :lol:

Other than the mind blowing spectacle (seriously the level of detail put into the money-shots, so to speak, is amazing) the thing that keeps me going back multiple times is the amount of world building present in the movie and its potential expansion. Food rations, giant skeletons, stupid governments making stupid ass decisions getting called out in riots... just to name a few outside the huge list of multinational Jaegers and city destroying Kaijus.

For a new IP catering to a very niche genre, the efforts and love poured into it is very refreshing to say the least.

p.s could've sworn amped was referring to Rinko Kikuchi a few posts above, not the little girl. Both are great tho :P
風のひとりごと、夢のその続き。。。
その先の空へ まだ見ぬ未来へ 胸に愛を 抱いて。。。 歩いてる
randompasserby
Devotee

Favorite Idol: ♥さゆ 一筋 ♥

Postby Amped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 am

yeah Rinko Kikuchi was really cool. Ashida Mana is really good at acting in the movie, it really moved me.
Amped
High Priest

Postby Chatin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 am

Really wanted to like Pacific Rim, but it wasn't very good. Acting was bad, dialogue was embarrassing, story was mediocre. It's like someone took a great concept and budget for visuals and then meshed it with a Disney Channel movie. Disappointing.
Chatin
Minion

Postby Zunu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 am

Amped wrote:
randompasserby wrote:Come on, does nobody here watches pacific rim?
I already went three times XD

i saw it tonight. it was really good. stayed till the credits ended, worth it.

I thought it was good too. I didn't read any reviews, so I wasn't really expecting it to be such an Evangelion homage, but I liked that aspect of it. It's true that the story took a back seat to the spectacle, but what story there was imo was emotional and compelling, and frankly I learned all I really wanted to learn about the lives of those people, except maybe for Hannibal Chau.

Charlie Day was hilarious but he needs to keep "Sunny" Charlie in check a bit more; that shtick only goes so far. Idris Elba was the shit. He can do no wrong in my book.

Trailerwise, I can't wait to see Elysium. Also, is it just me or does Katniss Everdeen sound like one of those fake Engrishy names that pop up in manga all the time? I predict Ender's Game will make a shitton of money despite the sporadic boycotts. The movie has a built-in audience of Everybody Under 25. Plus Han Solo for the fogies, if he didn't totally destroy his cred with that last Indiana Jones debacle. And Hailee Steinfeld who's about to blow up in like 10 movies.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Mirai » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm

resop2 wrote:Looking at this movie made me wonder if Gundam fans get sexually excited reading schematics for stereo systems.

As a Gundam fan, I will tell you no. But then again, I am definitely not the average Gundam fan :lol:
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby zam_ho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Sohee wrote:
wotakubrandon wrote:giant robots fighting the giant monsters

Exactly why I won't go. @_@ Thanks for confirming that for me. xD

I assume you are either not a giant robot fan or a giant monster fan or both :P

I went to see Pacific Rim last week. I tot I was not going to like it but ended up liking it :lol:
I do have things that I don't agree with, like why 2 pilots? :hmmm: I know they explain it in the movie, but isn't it easier to put together a processor to take a huge load off the pilot. Thats what they do with advanced fighter jets nowadays :roll:

Ashida Mana was a nice surprise. I didn't know she was going to be in the movie. She did her part nicely :heart:

What actually got me excited is that a movie based on the Mech Warrior franchise is now a possibility.
Btw, A 100 ton Atlas class could take out a half dozen category 4 Kaiju at one go easy :P
zam_ho

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project