7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Parhelion69 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:13 am

I've played all the main final fantasy games, and I liked every single one of them, from I to XII. Sadly XIII ruined it, but I DID like the fight system xD It's the linearity, uninteresting characters and story that disappointed me . Sazh was the most interesting and real one, but Vanille was probably the most annoying character in the franchise history. Lighting was so so and Snow was at times interesting and then he'd become a nuisance. (I had to look up the names in wikipedia, I don't really care for these characters XD). Also, who were the villians? I can't even remember!

I already have FF XIII-2 but I'm not in the mood to play it yet, I guess I lost all faith in Square Enix... XD
Parhelion69
Minion

Yeah, waste that life away in front of cooking shows!! XD

Postby boinsie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 am

Starra wrote:Boinsie: Heh, my mum loves the Australian Masterchef. She watches the NZ version too.

I hear the NZ ver. only has 1 episode a week, like the US version.
I needs me my 6 episode weekly fix of Masterchef AU! :hehe:
boinsie
Guru

Postby Rm88 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:19 am

Since I'm more of a Dragon Quest person it's been a bit better for me, Dragon Quest IX on DS is one of my absolute favorite games. Then the Dragon Quest Monster games are superb as well. Sadly S-E didn't bring Terry's Wonderland, and sadly they're killing the only Final Fantasy I like - Tactics. The new Final Fantasy Tactics game is going to be a free-to-play browser game with automatic battles that aren't even on a grid - so much for a "Tactics" game. For shame, S-E :lol:

Anyway, gladly Atlus exists. They're in charge of JRPGs now.
Rm88

Postby wotakubrandon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 am

Parhelion69 wrote:I've played all the main final fantasy games, and I liked every single one of them, from I to XII. Sadly XIII ruined it, but I DID like the fight system xD It's the linearity, uninteresting characters and story that disappointed me . Sazh was the most interesting and real one, but Vanille was probably the most annoying character in the franchise history. Lighting was so so and Snow was at times interesting and then he'd become a nuisance. (I had to look up the names in wikipedia, I don't really care for these characters XD). Also, who were the villians? I can't even remember!

I already have FF XIII-2 but I'm not in the mood to play it yet, I guess I lost all faith in Square Enix... XD
I'm the TOTAL opposite. I loved the story and the characters and how linear it was early on especially didn't bother me. Because if I have too many options in a game it takes me YEARS to do something. It was playing that game that killed the experience for me. That damned battle system lol. Vanille was about as annoying as all the other genki girls from the spoken FF games, I thought. I'm lying, your right, she was the most grating.

Rm88 wrote:Since I'm more of a Dragon Quest person it's been a bit better for me, Dragon Quest IX on DS is one of my absolute favorite games. Anyway, gladly Atlus exists. They're in charge of JRPGs now.
I've NEVER been able to get into Dragon Quest. I've tried but it just never happens.

And yes. Atlus is killing it.
wotakubrandon

Postby Zunu » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 am

GoT

Spoiler: show
Changing subjects, in the podcast I listen to, they mentioned the chessboard pieces in this episode as having a kind of embedded reveal. I'll have to wait to get home to watch that scene again.

They also went on about how horrific the gutting of Talisa was and how it shows a disturbing tendency of violence toward women. I think viewers are just not accustomed to seeing the distaff sex get their fair share of carnage. I mean, think of all the grisly beheadings that have taken place on this show. At least six, maybe more. How many of them were women? I'm gonna say...zero? And Theon got his spear lopped off, no problems with that? Jaime lost his whole hand. Tyrion his nose (in the books), Bran made hopelessly invalid. And eventually we will be "privy" to a man's murder most foul...etc., etc.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Pavlova » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 am

Zunu wrote:GoT

Changing subjects, in the podcast I listen to, they mentioned the chessboard pieces in this episode as having a kind of embedded reveal. I'll have to wait to get home to watch that scene again.

They also went on about how horrific the gutting of Talisa was and how it shows a disturbing tendency of violence toward women. I think viewers are just not accustomed to seeing the distaff sex get their fair share of carnage. I mean, think of all the grisly beheadings that have taken place on this show. At least six, maybe more. How many of them were women? I'm gonna say...zero? And Theon got his spear lopped off, no problems with that? Jaime lost his whole hand. Tyrion his nose (in the books), Bran made hopelessly invalid. And eventually we will be "privy" to a man's murder most foul...etc., etc.

The only thing of all the things you've mentionned that was shown ON CAMERA was Jaime's hand (which is a lot less violent, really, in that he didn't die from it..). Some of the beheadings were shown on camera but I find that a lot less cruel. It's instant death. If you want well-documented literature on violence against women in media, there's plenty out there. The attack on Talisa is an attack to her pregnancy, and through that, her womanhood. It's also not the first time we see horrible violence against a woman .. or have you already forgotten Littlefinger's friend and Joffrey's crossbow? That made a lot of my friends extremely uncomfortable. I'm not saying it should necessarily have been any other way, but yes, violence against women in media is a thing, and it's definitely because we are not used to it.
Pavlova
Minion

Favorite Idol: Shimizu Saki

Postby Chatin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am

GoT: I don't see the point in being up in arms about what happened to that character in the show. They had a few plotlines to tie up in regards of tying back into the book timeline, and that was something they had to show. There wouldn't have been a way to handle that just with exposition.

Final Fantasy: I'm actually a big fan of FFXIII. The game was pretty linear for the first chunk, but I've gotten used to that in my games. Hitting Pulse was one of my favorite moments from this generation, and the entire game was gorgeous both visually and audibly. FFXIII-2 takes the gorgeous world and pushes the fun level to 11.

XII and VIII are my least favorite FF titles. The former had the most bland cast and the latter had the most aggravating. Vanille was just a cute girl from down under. Don't be hating.
Chatin
Minion

Postby wotakubrandon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Aw I love XII and VIII.

IX
X
XII
VIII
VII
XI
XIII
Is my ranking of the most recent ones.
wotakubrandon

Postby questorminator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I also loved IX. It felt more Final Fantasy to me than X though I also liked that game. VII is an automatic number one because I loved the story and the characters (along with it being my first PS1 game).

So my rankings would go

VII
IX
VIII
XII
X
XIII

*XI was never made available in my country.
questorminator
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby wotakubrandon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Oooh another IX lover. I feel like they're hard to come by. I loved almost every single thing about that game. Really a magical experience.

VII was my first PSone game too and before all the other VII stuff came out it was ranked higher but my bitterness has pushed it down a few spots.
wotakubrandon

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project