7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Moh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 pm

I have enough shows to watch as it is, trying to watch a drama would kill me. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm

A lovely thing about most dramas is that they usually top off at 12/14 episodes, instead of going on for 25 episodes and then leaving you hanging for a year (+ rinse and repeat for most successful US shows). XD

On the flip side, it's not rare that I'm left wishing there were 25 episodes. :lol:
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby AyuHikaru » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah I actually like the fact that Dramas end. They do this in the UK as well, I guess America is weird about beating the dead horse of their TV shows.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby Starra » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm

I prefer watching shorter anime. Generally, I'll gravitate towards 12/13-episode series rather than the 24-26 ones.

Then again, I've watched all 276 episodes of the original Pokemon.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Parhelion69 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Am I wrong or nowadays anime is mostly moe? I'm not exactly really following all releases, so I wouldn't know well, but that's the impression I get when I get any anime related news, articles or whatever.

The only "recent" anime I like is Naruto Shippuden, but I left it since adventures of the sea, because I just hate fillers and I hate waiting 1 week per episode, I'll just wait until a whole arc is released (I still have to watch the arc before the shinobi war)

Are there any good animes like the oldies: Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Macross (many sagas), Cobra, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.

Last anime I watched before Naruto was Death Note and I think it was OK, very good at the beggining and mostly at the end, and really boring middle episodes.
I've been recommended Code Geass, but never got the interest really. I might watch this eventually, I'm not sure if it's really good.

What kinda "recent" animes would you recommend?
Parhelion69
Minion

Postby AyuHikaru » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 am

Moe was a huge trend a few years ago and pretty much got me to stop watching anime all together. There's still a lot of Moe out there but it's starting to die down in favor of, shock shock, anime geared toward women.

Seriously, I just read an article about it not long ago that stated Females have become a larger purchasing power in anime merchandise than males so they're starting to make anime appealing to them more. This doesn't just mean Shoujo either, Blue Exorcist (Which you should go watch RIGHT NOW), Tiger and Bunny (Which should also be on your to watch list), and a few other shows were made into anime with women in mind. Turns out we women don't like our anime full of cute boys who don't do anything (Like Moe blobs) but we also need a story to get attached too.

I assume this is why we'll probably see more Otome games become anime which should be.... weird.

Recomendations:
Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - turns the Magical Girl genre on it's head, then puts it in a blender, then eats it, then spits it out. It's dark but yet... cute. I'd call it a deconstruction of the genre, really.

Blue Exorcist - It's just a decent action anime with cute male leads. It's really, really good I promise

Tiger and Bunny - I enjoyed it and one of the main characters is in his 30's! And has a kid! And a goate! And is treated as a bishi character! High school? FEH.

Chihayafuru - About the game of Kurata, and kind of a slice of life, shoujo thing. It's really addicting for an anime about some poem game.

Moribito - Came out in 2007 so it's not really recent, but I watched it about 2 years ago and loved the fuck out of it. It has a very strong female lead, who's 30, and a BAMF. It's so beautifully drawn as well, like really beautiful.

ToraDora! - Came out in 2008 and is my first shoujo on the list! It's so good my boyfriend likes it. He doesn't like a lot of Shoujo (You should hear him complain about Ouran School Host Club).

Sword Art Online - About a bunch of people who get stuck in a Virutal Reality MMO. Kind of Science Fiction, kind of Fantasy. You get pretty attached to the characters, the second half is kind weird, but it's a solid anime.

Usagi Drop - Usagi fucking drop. About a dude who gets stuck having to take care of a young girl after her parents die. It is... it is something. I cannot with this anime.

Princess Jellyfish - A Josei (Basically shoujo for older women) about a bunch of Fujoshi's living together. Oh, it is wonderful.

That's all I got offhand. My tastes are pretty varied but I have a deep seeded hatred for anime with no substance.

All of these are on Crunchyroll or Hulu.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Postby resop2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 am

They started playing Usagi Drop at the anime club that I go to. Half the club defends it, the other half walks out.

I'm one of the one's walking out. The show is boring. The dude who takes care of the kid (his aunt actually) is presented as a good decent dependable dude. The kid is presented as a normal kid who might be a little surly but does try her best. There is ZERO conflict or drama in the show. Unlike a show like Aishiteruze Baby where the lead is a skirt chasing slacker who gets a baby dumped on him against his will, the dude in Usagi Drops acts exactly like we would expect him to.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Parhelion69 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 am

Thank you AyuHikaru, but I'm a male and I like action/adventure anime mostly XD

Anyway, I'll check some info on your list and see what I'd like. Thank you :)
Parhelion69
Minion

Postby AyuHikaru » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 am

^ I only listed two Shoujo just in case. Though I like to think all of those aren't actually gender specific. Madoka Majika may look like it to start... but that... that is a DARK anime.

In this link in an AMV (Scroll down you'll see it) that focuses on the enviroments used in Madoka Majika and it is slick as hell. I think it would make anyone want to watch it.
http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=view&id=4191
Last edited by AyuHikaru on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Postby Moh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 am

AyuHikaru wrote:I guess America is weird about beating the dead horse of their TV shows.

Oddly enough, I like them beating that dead horse, it gives me more episodes to enjoy. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project