7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby JonCC » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:09 am

Time to dive back into SWTOR....
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Zunu » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:37 am

I'm not much of a gamer but that cinematic looks INCREDIBLE. I really want to see what happens next.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:53 am

The last three episodes (i.e., episodes 10–12) of Season 1 of The Legend of Vox Machina are available now. That's it until Season 2.

It's even better than I hoped for. Since it's a faithful adaptation of actual gameplay (with good dice rolls and bad dice rolls and individual player choices and improvisational acting), produced and performed by the players themselves (remember, professional voice actors who just stumbled into this success), it feels much more organic and… lived-in, if you know what I mean …than you would normally expect from a series like it. And the action is outstanding. And there are sooo many easter eggs for long-time fans of Critical Role.

Sure, there are tropes, but it's Dungeons & Dragons. <shrug>

Reactions and reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. The handful of negative ones are typically either disappointed that the adaptation isn't more faithful (and therefore ignorant of what it means to adapt something) or dismissive of D&D-style action-fantasy in general.

forgetmenots? Nayoko-Kihara? I'd really like to know what you think of it. And anyone else, if you've watched it.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:23 pm

I haven't watched it yet. I haven't watched much of anything for the past couple of weeks. 90% of my viewing time has been taken up by trying to keep pace with the parts of the Olympics I care about, I've only just managed to keep the DVR from deleting everyone else's recordings. Though with the closing tomorrow and most of my favorite events already watched, "Vox" is sitting at the top of my (too long) list of shows to jump into.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:31 am

Maybe this will catch the interest of more people here…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:43 pm

Celedam wrote:Nayoko-Kihara? I'd really like to know what you think of it. And anyone else, if you've watched it.
I watched the first four episodes tonight, and I think four was my favorite. Maybe the second half of three & all of four. I'm a real sucker for horror elements, and all this Briarwood couple business is delivering. Got some slight David Xanatos vibes from Sylas too, though mostly in design.
Spoiler: show
I wasn't sure if favorite characters would carry over from the comic I read, but so far my favorites are still Keyleth, Grog, and Trinket (I love that bear). I could've done without the puke in episode 1, regardless of how short. I've got a thing about spit and other mouth based nasty and that just, no. No thank you to that. Everything else was fine. It felt like there was a noticeable shift in tone going into episodes 3-4 (or maybe I'm just that much more into the creepy shit, it's 6 a.m. and I'm not going to think too hard about it).

I knew they were all voice actors already but I never looked too closely into past roles and never got deep into the original series, but hearing so many very familiar voices eventually got to me enough that I had to skim their credits. I was surprised by how many things I've heard most of them in. David Tennant was also a pleasant surprise, even if short lived.

Scanlan was considerably more annoying in the comic vs this show.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:19 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:I watched the first four episodes tonight, and I think four was my favorite. Maybe the second half of three & all of four. I'm a real sucker for horror elements, and all this Briarwood couple business is delivering. […] It felt like there was a noticeable shift in tone going into episodes 3-4

Yeah, as I've said a few times here, Episodes 1–2 are just an introduction to the setting and characters, while Episode 3 is the beginning of the actual story arc for the season. If you enjoyed Episodes 3–4, you will definitely enjoy the rest of the season.

I also balked at Episode 1…

viewtopic.php?p=266036#p266036

Many people balked at it. Many of the negative reviews are based solely on it, which is a shame.

Nayoko-Kihara wrote: Scanlan was considerably more annoying in the comic vs this show.

The comic was written by Matt Colville, another "celebrity" DM and a friend of the group, based on notes from the group. It's not bad for what it is, but it's very much his writing.

In contrast, the animated series is written, produced, and performed by the group. When Scanlan is doing his thing, that's the player playing Scanlan. So yeah, it's more authentic — or like I said above, more lived-in.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Celedam wrote:Many of the negative reviews are based solely on it, which is a shame.
I didn't think episodes 1-2 were bad enough to drop the show and leave a negative review. Not nearly that bad, mostly just odd. Maybe I'd have felt differently if I were more exposed to the original series (I dropped "Wheel of Time" after episode 1 for that reason).

Celedam wrote:The comic was written by Matt Colville, another "celebrity" DM and a friend of the group, based on notes from the group. It's not bad for what it is, but it's very much his writing.

In contrast, the animated series is written, produced, and performed by the group. When Scanlan is doing his thing, that's the player playing Scanlan. So yeah, it's more authentic — or like I said above, more lived-in.
This makes a lot of sense. As obvious as it should be, I honestly hadn't given a second thought to the two being written by different people.

Edit: I've finished through episode 9 now and, yeah, this show is great.
Edit x2: I finished the season and I'm a little mad there isn't more. And that my sappy hopes were crushed by Keyleth.
Last edited by Nayoko-Kihara on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby JonCC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:20 am

“GUNDAM. INFO” YouTube Channel is almost reaching 2,000,000 subscribers!
To celebrate the moment, the legendary series & latest movies will be available for a limited period.

Starting of with: MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM I (EN,CN,HK,TW,KR,FR,DE Sub)

Seems like a great way for people to get into the franchise.
And a reminder if you have Netflix: the original series compilation films are also on there, in better quality.
As is Unicorn, IBO, Char's Counterattack & Hathaway.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Celedam » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:17 am

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:Edit x2: I finished the season and I'm a little mad there isn't more. And that my sappy hopes were crushed by Keyleth.

Amazon ordered two seasons, so more is coming. Don't give up hope just yet.

(don't say anything, forgetmenots.)

And if this first season has been as successful as it seems to be, there could be a third, a fourth, and maybe even a fifth season. There are three major story arcs remaining in Campaign 1, plus a bunch of "side quests" to resolve the backstories of the other party members.

All I can say is, you might want to rewatch the season finale a couple times. Besides the obvious cliffhanger, there are at least a half-dozen other hooks for stuff that will come later, sometimes much later. If this does go five seasons, and if they do everything they're setting up to do, you'll look back on this season in awe. Like, "How did I miss that?!"
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project