7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby JonCC » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 am

Amped wrote:Legends of Tomorrow was also entertaining today. The heroes were trapped in a TV reality.

erilaz wrote:The Friends, Downton Abbey, and Star Trek parodies on Legends of Tomorrow were amusing, but I suppose I would have understood more If i'd EVER watched Legends of Tomorrow before. XD

Celedam wrote:The continuity on Legends of Tomorrow is very complicated. Lots of characters, lots of time travel.

I love that show. Out of all the Arrowverse series it's the one I look forward to watching the most.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Zunu » Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am

It’s the only one I’m regularly watching anymore. It’s way too silly to hate on in any way XD
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun May 31, 2020 10:13 am

Hey now, you're not the only team of misfit superheroes in a time-traveling ship trying to fix the past…

It's back for its final season, and I'm watching it on Hulu as I always do.

Don't remember how they got to where they are? It's been ten months since the end of the last season, after all. So here's a quick recap…

(yeah, i actually needed this. i was watching the new episode, and when they said Yo-Yo needed to be quarantined on the ship, i couldn't remember why.)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Amped » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am

Lord of the Rings cast reunion
Amped
High Priest

Postby Zunu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:38 pm

That was really epic
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:44 am

Tonight's CBS Sunday Night Movie is a Grease sing-along, and since I have a morbid fascination with TV censorship, I kind of want to see it. I saw Grease on network broadcast TV quite a few years ago, and the song "Greased Lightnin'" was hacked and slashed into a pointless absurdity. I'm curious to see how they'll deal with it today in a "sing-along" context, since nobody could ever have been expected to sing along with the mess I saw over 20 years ago.

UPDATE: I watched it. What they did with "Greased Lightnin'" was actually as unobtrusive as possible while still satisfying the FCC and Standards & Practices. They silenced the problematic words and left spaces in the onscreen lyrics.

Some memories of broadcast TV versions:

The Breakfast Club: Ridiculous replacements of words, such as "airhead" for "asshole".

Repo Man: The same thing happens here (melon-farmer!), but since director Alex Cox had control of it, the result is worth watching in its own right. Best of all, the TV version even includes some scenes that were cut from the theatrical version. "Lorna Doones? I love Lorna Doones!" :thumbs-up: for the Criterion DVD/Blu-ray release including the TV version as an extra.

Heathers: Not only mercilessly chopped up, but some scenes were even reassembled out of order. I had the foresight to tape the TV version, because I knew that any attempt to make this movie broadcast-friendly would result in an atrocity.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls: Released with an X rating in 1970, this movie showed up on late night broadcast TV a few years ago with surprisingly little censorship. Some "language" was silenced here and there, and butt cracks were blurred out, but all of the violence (some of it quite gruesome) was intact. Because seeing someone's bare backside is somehow more offensive than someone having their head chopped or blown off.

Speaking of Russ Meyer films, I've never seen his cult classic Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! on broadcast TV, but I'd like to. Even though it was released as an adults-only feature back in 1966 (arguably the best year in pop culture history), there's absolutely nothing in it that would prevent it from being shown on prime-time broadcast TV today, completely uncut.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:29 am

For various reasons, Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) has been a hot topic lately. And because of that, I just realized something: Geordi La Forge should be in an asylum.

Why? Because most of the Geordi-centric stories involved him becoming mentally unstable or losing touch with reality in some way…

- "Booby Trap" (3x06) – Becomes infatuated with a holodeck simulation of the female engineer who designed the engines of the Enterprise.

- "Galaxy's Child" (4x16) – Suffers emotional whiplash when he meets the real female engineer and she is quite different from his simulation.

- "Identity Crisis" (4x18) – Almost transformed into an alien, gradually losing his humanity until he is saved at the last moment.

- "The Mind's Eye" (4x24) – Brainwashed by Romulans to sabotage a Klingon colony and assassinate its governor.

- "Schisms" (6x05) – Kidnapped and experimented upon by aliens, resulting in severe sleep deprivation.

- "Descent, Part II" (7x01) – Tortured by Lore and almost transformed into a new type of cybernetic organism.

- "Interface" (7x03) – Uses his visor interface to control a remote probe, and then through that probe hallucinates his missing mother.

- Star Trek Generations (movie) – Captured and tortured by Soran and the Klingons.

And then of course there's the running gag throughout the series that he is perpetually unlucky in love. Jeez, give the guy a break.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Apropos of nothing, I went through my list of Japanese movies that I've seen since 2001 and determined which directors' films I've seen the most of. The counts are for individual films, not counting repeat viewings.

Kurosawa Akira (30)
Honda Ishirō (25)
Miike Takashi (20)
Ozu Yasujirō (16)
Kore-eda Hirokazu (13)
Miyazaki Hayao (12)
Iguchi Noboru (11)
Kurosawa Kiyoshi (10)
Sono Shion (10)
Suzuki Seijun (10)
Ishii Teruo (9)
Ōshima Nagisa (9)
Nakata Hideo (8)
Takahata Isao (8)
Kaneko Shūsuke (7)
Tsutsumi Yukihiko (7)
Yuasa Noriaki (7)
Fukuda Jun (6)
Inagaki Hiroshi (6)
Mizoguchi Kenji (6)
Ōbayashi Nobuhiko (who passed away on April 10th) (6)
Yamaguchi Kazuhiko (6)

I think it gives a pretty decent picture of my preferences in Japanese cinema: classics, jidai-geki, Ghibli anime, kaijū-eiga, sci-fi, horror, exploitation, and insane weirdness.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:21 am

Whoa. Game of Thrones cast reunion on Twitch to play D&D for charity…

https://www.twitch.tv/dnd

Ramsay, Osha, Podrick, Hodor, and Yara.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm

^ Speaking of "Ramsay" (a.k.a. Iwan Rheon), his previous series Misfits (2009–2013) is turning out to be much better than I thought it would…

The first few episodes are pretty rough and unappealing, but the story turns a corner near the end of the first season and then improves dramatically (pun intended) in the second season.

I already know that I'm going to stop after three seasons, however. The fourth and fifth seasons are essentially a reboot.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project