6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Postby PureLight » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 am

I've got Eric's new album and man, I love love love the lead single for it, "Homeboy."

Eli Young Band's Even if it Breaks Your Heart is super good too, it really helps when I feel like what I'm working for isn't worth anything.

I really love country lol.
PureLight
Senior Initiate

Postby Zunu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am

Super long article about kpop here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... ntPage=all
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby PureLight » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I loved that article. A lot of it makes a lot of sense in how it worked and maaaaaan, it makes me feel sorry for the people who end up being entertainers with S.M. and J.Y.P. but I suppose they went in for it.

It'll still surprise me to see any of them break through in any kind of lasting success. PSY is a one-hit wonder over here, I think. An incredible one for sure but not something I see being sustained, regardless if he's been picked up by Scooter Braun. The Wonder Girls' Like Money plays pretty regularly on our top 40 station here though, which I find pretty amazing but then again, they're going to be performing at a concert the station's putting on at our House of Blues. It's a good song for the radio.

Girls' Generation would be my favourite to come through though. The level of work they've put into it is pretty intense and to see them perform over here on a TV show would be like "SEE, I TOLD YOU PEOPLE" for me but I'm expecting it to just fall by the wayside like all the other starts over here. S.M. had to have learned from BoA which is why I like the Interscope deal, because it guarantees a certain level of expertise in terms of promotion that S.M. just didn't have the inroads for over here the first time.

The writing camps that exist nowadays are incredible to me, the sheer amount of people that put input on so many songs out now. I mean, there's always Max Martin and Dr. Luke and their normal collaborators like Shellback or Benny Blanco but an increasing amount of people getting in on it like StarGate, Tricky and The-Dream (although these guys have been at it for a WHILLLLLEEEEEE) and I think the reaching out to Akon is a good idea for Wonder Girls (although really, couldn't they have picked a more.....relelvant? guy for a collab? i suppose he's looking for work, though.) but again, can it be kept up? Can they continue to get these songs? And more importantly on the radio.

I'm absolutely interested to see how entertainment in general is going to explode with Chinese involvement though. Disney's already working with Chinese financing for Iron Man 3 and the expectations that seem to be just building up to mountains in that article with the Chinese music market are pretty astounding.

My thoughts are all over with this since it's been a couple of days since I read the article at work (it was very very dead.) but maaaaan, I live for this kind of reading in terms of the music industry hahaha.
PureLight
Senior Initiate

Postby Moh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm

PureLight wrote:PSY is a one-hit wonder over here, I think.

I think the same. I feel like a lot of people just see him as "that Asian guy with the horse dance", tbh.

I didn't read the article ( :fear: ), but even if they flop, I'll still buy WG's album, if it ever comes out. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby DARC1993 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:17 pm

LOL :hehe:
'No, it was nothing like that. For pervy, try the J-pop group AKB48, a Japanese girl ensemble, with scores of members, who, affecting a schoolgirls-in-lingerie look in their video “Heavy Rotation,” pillow-fight, kiss, and share heart-shaped cookies mouth to mouth. Girls’ Generation is a group of preppy-looking young women in skinny trousers. When they wear hot pants, it’s to display the gams, not the glutes.'
「勝負の年だぞ。モーニング娘。'14」
DARC1993
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Riho Sayashi

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:46 pm

PureLight wrote:SNSD - to see them perform over here on a TV show would be like "SEE, I TOLD YOU PEOPLE"

If I remember right, they did this already.

Nobody (except people who already followed) really cared.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby PureLight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:16 am

I don't mean late night. I mean, like, X Factor or American Idol.
PureLight
Senior Initiate

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 am

Ah.

Probably won't be happening any time soon.

Edit: They did use PSY's song to open the first live show for the current UK season of "X Factor", though it was pretty brief.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby PureLight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:Ah.

Probably won't be happening any time soon.

Edit: They did use PSY's song to open the first live show for the current UK season of "X Factor", though it was pretty brief.

Exactly. Which is a shame.
PureLight
Senior Initiate

Postby esm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Moh wrote:
PureLight wrote:PSY is a one-hit wonder over here, I think.

I think the same. I feel like a lot of people just see him as "that Asian guy with the horse dance", tbh.

I was just reading an editorial in my school paper today about PSY...

"It seems odd that a stocky, goofy looking man in a wacky outfit would surpass all his toned, model-esque competitors. Then it occurred to me that PSY may fit within the framework of America’s assumptions and stereotypes about Asian men. It doesn’t matter that his comical performance was a caricature of a subculture; for all intents and purposes he is a weird, feminine, dorky, unattractive Asian male. America doesn’t want a muscular, Asian R&B crooner or a plastic surgery-enhanced Asian Barbie mispronouncing her way through a Lady Gaga cover.

America wants another William Hung, and PSY can fulfill that role — albeit with much more flair. While part of his appeal is that he didn’t try to “American-ize” himself, his infamously weird foreign-ness will eternally box him within western pop culture. “Those crazy Asians,” is the general response to the video. They laugh, but whether they are laughing with him or at him is hard to say."
http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/08/impli ... gnam-style
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project