6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Irregardless

Postby Zunu » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 am

Celedam wrote:^ In contrast…

Zunu wrote:
Shoujo Q wrote:I noticed on Apple Music that YOASOBI released an English version of the song. I was highly confused for a moment because I couldn’t place what was wrong with it right away. They didn’t change the title to reflect it was a different version.

I've heard it. It's true that it sounds weirdly off-putting compared to the original.

I once played the Spanish-language version of an English-language adult contemporary ballad I liked to a friend of mine who's a Spanish interpreter/part-time jazz musician. And her first response was, " :cry: :cry: :cry:," but her follow up was, "That 'song' wasn't originally written in Spanish was it?" Disgracefully my Spanish is pretty shit so it sounded totally ok to me, but she could immediately tell the phrasing was unnatural. Everything was in correct textbook Spanish but the phrasing and meter didn't work the way Spanish songs work, it worked the way English songs worked.

And so for me this English "Idol" has the same issues. The words are certainly in English but we don't typically use that type of vocabulary in our songs. For example, she says "the pupil that you got." You can say that in English but nobody ever would*. We use "eyes" in songs, not pupils, which sounds clinical in English, not romantic or poetic. But if you were going to use it then you likely wouldn't follow up that clinical word with a colloquial "got" instead of "have." "Hey baby, anybody ever tol' you that you got some pretty-ass...pupils?" Sounds weird in English, but in Japanese "hitomi" is a perfectly normal word to use in a song, and can certainly be used casually. This is why good translations are hard, and word for word translations are pretty bad at conveying meaning.

Anyway that's just one phrase, but I'd argue similarly regarding the rest of the song.

All that aside, if it helps to make the song more popular among English speakers then I'm all for it, regardless.

*Like literally nobody ever would. A Google search only turns up that Idol lyric, nothing else.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Re: 6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Postby Moh » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Sato Chiaki - Senkou Hanabi feat. Ikuta Lilas

WOODZ - Drowning
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Moh » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:55 am

frederic did Oddloop for THE FIRST TAKE:
Moh
Prophet

Postby Amped » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:45 am

Today at Youplus' FC event, Nakanishi Kana announced that :

Youplus will be disbanding on the 2nd anniversary of their formation, September 3rd, at the Youplus 2nd Anniversary Thanksgiving Live CHIC HALL in TOKYO. They released their 2nd album on July 7th.

confirmed : Four former idols, a unique second career group, announces breakup: "Each member has a new goal"
https://natalie.mu/music/news/532128
https://www.daily.co.jp/gossip/2023/07/ ... 4119.shtml

Youplus announcement

Nakanishi Kana's statement
Amped
High Priest

Postby Amped » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:37 pm

Youplus member Kawago Hina didn't even bother to wait for disbandment day. She decided to just quit / request to withdraw immediately today, leaving the 3 members. She discussed it and doesn't even want a graduation live.
Amped
High Priest

Postby Moh » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:42 pm

Somehow I thought Youplus already disbanded. Whoops.

I saw TWICE a few hours ago at Truist Park, which just happened to be the last stop on the US leg of their current world tour.
They were so much fun! I had a great seat so I could see all of them pretty clearly. Momo's solo stage might've made me blush a little.
It started raining during the encore but they made the best of it.

If/when they come back, I'll definitely go see them again. :love: (hopefully I'll have floor seat money at that point. XD)
Moh
Prophet

Postby Amped » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:00 am

Ebichu Yasumoto Ayaka samples Juice=Juice's "PRIDE BRIGHT" on TikTok

https://www.tiktok.com/@ayakayasumoto_o ... 2688008466
Amped
High Priest

Postby erilaz » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:28 pm

This evening I saw ADG7 (Ak Dan Gwang Chil), a "Korean Shamanic Folk-Pop" group, at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley. Fun show!

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:56 pm

asmi - earth meal

I've never heard of her before, but according to Amped she's performed at an event with Juice=Juice before.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Moh » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:56 pm

asmi is really cute. I like the collab she has with Mrs. GREEN APPLE a lot.

I've been going through Digimon Ghost Game and so far, this Suga Shikao x Hyadain track is the only ED I refuse to skip:
Moh
Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project